Delve with us in Mixed Martial Arts.
Mixed Martial Arts or also known as MMA (Mixed Martial Arts). The term MMA was first used by a television critic named Howard Rosenberg in the USA in 1993. The term was actually coined by Rick Blume, President of Batllecade in 1995.
Until then, the terms Vale Tudo, or Cage Fighting, or Ultimate Fighting had been used. In Japan, the term “s-g- kakut-gi” is used to refer to MMAs.
ORIGINS OF MIXED MARCIAL ARTS
We could say without missing the truth that human beings have always fought in fierce fighting without rules. Since the time of the Old Olympic Games, 708 BC. there have been fights using what we know today as Ju Jitsu, Greco-Roman Wrestling, etc…
The Brazilian Vale Tudo, Jeet Kune Do, Kajukenbo, Kudo already existed as martial arts of self-defense and have had and influence in mixed martial arts.
POPULARIST DISCIPLINES IN MIXED MARCIAL ARTS
- Kick Boxing: Contact sport created by Karate master Kyokusinkai Osamu Noguchi. It’s a mix between Boxing and Karate.
- Muay Thai: Hits with elbows knees and feet. Similar to KickBoxing but with the difference that it hits with elbows.
- Ju Jitsu: Japanese Feudal Fighting System. Dislocations, strangulations, submissions, etc. are performed.
- Brazilian Ju Jitsu: It is a variants of judo, with strangulations, submissions, etc…
- Wrestling: Melee fight with takedowns and with the aim of knocking down the opponent.
- SanDa: Comes from WuShu or KungFu. Kicks, Fists, Dislocations…
- Judo: Olympic sport from JuJitsu. Strangulations, submissions, etc…
- Boxing: Handling of fists, distance, elusives, etc…
- Karate: Fists, open hand techniques, very effective kicks, etc…
- Sambo: Coming from Russia, based on Judo and Wrestling.
- Daido: Karate, Boxing, Muay Thai and Judo.
- Taekwondo: Olympic Sport. Use of Kicks mainly.
- Capoeira: Afro-Brazilian art that is made with music. Kicks, fists and pirouettes.
- Hapkido: Korean Martial Art of Military Self Defense.
These are the main disciplines from which MMA participants come.
UFC – ULTIMATE FIGHTING CHAMPIONSHIP
UFC is the largest mixed martial arts company in the world.
UFC has been producing events and bouts since 1993. In 2009 it gained incredible popularity for the UFC100 event.
Great champions of the moment like Lyoto Machida and Brock Lesnar have had their great moments of victory in UFC.
The UFC has official sponsors of the Reebok brand.
Sportswear brand Reebok signed a 6-year contract, which gives it exclusive rights to the production of the ultimate Fighting Championship’s official clothing and equipment.
Each Fighter will receive from $2,500 to $40,000 depending on the following criteria:
|UFC fight history||USD compensation per fight|
|More than 21 fights||$20,000|
All the clothes remade by Reebok, as well as brands dedicated to MMA can be found on our website, in the UFCsection.